My experiment is failing. I didn’t get a job this summer so that I’d have more time to read and write and it’s been a mess. Issues:
- It’s hard to set a schedule and stick to it when you only have one task a day. When I procrastinate I note how I have the whole day to write, until I don’t.
- I keep getting distracted in the morning. Waking up late and playing video games with your brother doesn’t make for a good writing life.
- I beat myself up for not spending more of the day writing even when I do write.
I’m trying to straighten the whole thing out now. Hope it works out.
- Hung out with Kasey and her family which was great since they’re my favorites. Also Kasey’s a really good cook now. She made tacos with beans, baked sweet potato, and sauce that were phenomenal. Watching her prepare the meal felt like watching a magician. And here I am barely able to make a sandwich.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a crazy good novella. Do yourself a favor and read it (and if you say you’ve already seen the movie I’ll smack you). The fact that Capote was able to craft a character like Holly Golightly makes me jealous. No Longer At Ease and Hooded or Being Black for Dummies were also quality. Currently reading Every Day Is For The Thief by Teju Cole.
- This unreleased St. Vincent track from her last concert is adding to my constant hunger for new St. Vincent songs.
- Helped build a hoop in our backyard for my little brother. He pledged me 10% of his future income should he make it to the NBA so this could be the most lucrative work of my life.
- Kevin Durant is such a loser for going to Golden State. Moving to a team because you’re not good enough to beat them is not superstar behavior in any way. Should’ve stayed at OKC.
- Went to a 4th of July get-together with family friends in St. Joseph, MI that was pretty fun 🙂 The highlight: watching the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. Describing the winner, Joey Chestnut, who ate 70 hot dog in 10 minutes, the announcer said, “He has God’s username and password and he does with it what he chooses! He is American exceptionalism! He is America!”